Home About Me My Store Freebies Pinterest Facebook Instagram TeachersPayTeachers Email Twitter Image Map

Creating One Anchor Chart for Multiple Classes


There are pros and cons for every scenario in teaching. If you team, it has its fair share of the yeas and nays as well. For instance, I absolutely love having fewer preps. The caveat to fewer preps is that I will be teaching the same material more than once. And, I'm ok with that too. However, when creating anchor charts for multiple classes it can be a bit tricky.
Anchor charts are most effective when they are built with the students. Students have an opportunity to construct their own meaning because they are part of the process during which the chart is built. The words and information comes from them. Anchor charts give students an opportunity to see their own ideas reflected back to them. 

I love building anchor charts with my students. But, I don't want to hang multiple charts of the same information; especially when the topic is identical and the responses are similar enough that more than one chart would be redundant. So, what's a teacher to do? 

To begin construction of the chart, I present the same blank page with the heading/icons already written on the top. For example:



Then, I move the students through the construction of the chart. I have students submit ideas on sticky notes. Once they have written their ideas down, discussed, and edited notes, I collect them. Depending on the lesson, I then lead the students through the notes and how they apply to the chart. I will also put the notes into similar categories or ideas and then hand write the student responses on the chart. When I hand write the ideas I will use different colored markers to indicate which ideas came from which classes.




You can read more about how I use STICKY NOTES in my classroom here:
4 Ways to Use Sticky Notes

To read about the Acceptable/Unacceptable Anchor Chart, click below:
Refocusing for the Rest of the Year






No comments:

Post a Comment