Home About Me My Store Freebies Pinterest Facebook Instagram TeachersPayTeachers Email Twitter Image Map

3 Ways to Use a Parts of Speech Word Wall

So, you've created a Parts of Speech Word Wall. Now, what are you going to do with it? Keep reading to learn my top 3 fav ways to use one!

If you are new to Parts of Speech Word Walls you can read about them here: Word Walls for Big Kids

Using the fundamental sequence needed for language development (hear, speak, read, write) I use activities that address gaps, keep up the rigor, and offer differentiation. I use this sequence of events when using new words on the wall.

As with any new activity in a classroom, I model the expectation first. At the start of the year, I go through the steps slowly and deliberately. I use either a whole group setting (not very often) or my teacher-led rotation.


1. Speak in Sentences


When new words go on the wall, I like to spend a couple of days just saying them with the students. Some words they need to hear over and over before I can expect them to say them. For example: indictment, suffragist, abolitionist...

Once students are more comfortable saying the words, challenge them to create a sentence that incorporates one noun and one verb from the wall. If you have color-coded your words, students can sometimes find words that are related by subject a bit easier.

I sometimes use chart paper to show students the steps. The chart does help with discussion about noun/verb agreement and how the ending of words need to change based on the sentence we are saying or writing. But, overall, this is designed to be a verbal activity. The end goal is to get them to speak in sentences. Writing is later.

2. Making and Breaking Words

Once students have a decent handle on saying the words and speaking in sentences, I move into making and breaking words. This is a great activity to have students complete with a partner. 

Students are provided a set of letters and a mat. I time the activity and the goal is to make as many words possible using the provided letters. At the beginning of the year students struggle a bit with manipulating the letters and finding new words. However, a few rounds of practice and they become pros. I do provide a line at the bottom of the mat for the "bonus" word. (The word from which all other words are derived.) Students become savvy and understand to get the wall and find the bonus word first, then they arrange letters to add to the mat. 

I collect the mats and we take a few minutes to go over the different words students found. I also (sometimes) award the pair that found the most legitimate words.


3. Building Sentences

Now that students have a handle on speaking the words and have had an opportunity to manipulate the sounds and letters, it's time to write! Similar to the Making Words Mat, students get a Making Sentences Mat. Either working in pairs or independently, students choose one noun and one verb from the wall and build a sentence. 

When students have had enough practice speaking in sentences, they can usually fill in their mat without too much assistance. If they are really proficient, I ask them to enhance their sentence(s) by adding in more nouns or verbs, or they can select words from the Adj/Adv section of the wall.
By time students are building sentences they have had many exposures to and practice with the words on the wall. I like to keep words up longer than "necessary". I have found that some students like to mix and match words from different units of study. Some students like the comfort of already knowing some of the words on the wall. Other students like to have the extended time to challenge themselves with words that they didn't quite master during the unit. Once you get your wall going, you'll find the right flow for your classroom.

I'd love to hear from you! How do you use your word wall?

No comments:

Post a Comment