Home About Me My Store Freebies Pinterest Facebook Instagram TeachersPayTeachers Email Twitter Image Map

Friendly Letter Writing in an Elementary Classroom; Friday Family Letters

writing friendly letters elementary classroom


For a while now my collegues and I have been frustrated by the lack of writing being done at the elementary level. That's not to say it isn't valued. I don't imagine there is an educator on the planet that doesn't value writing. However, there have been some fundamental shifts in what our days look like and the requirements expected within a classroom schedule. Gone are the days when we intentionally planned various writing units: compare and contrast, opinion writing, expository writing, creative writing... we weave it in and out of the content we teach as an additional part; not the main component of the unit. Through no fault of its own, writing has become the redheaded step-child. 

To be fair, there are some excellent curricula that incorporate writing into their daly lessons. I have seen (and taught) some beautifully scaffolded lessons that engage students to write poignant paragraphs and engaging essays. But, still, there seems to be a lack of basic writing skills. For example, how many times must I remind students that sentences start with a capital and end with punctuation? Proper names must be capitalized. Indenting is a "thing".

For all the scaffolding and differentiation we deliver through writing curriculum, it's mind-boggling that I still need to go over these very basic components of writing. Some blame text messaging. Others will say it's "just how this generation is". But, I tend to think not. I've been in the trenches for over 20 years (at least one generation...right?) and these writing woes have been in existence since I first stepped into a fourth grade room.

So, what is the answer? What can we do to help these young people hard-wire the basics of writing that will stick with them throughout their educational careers and into adulthood?

Friday Family Letters!


I saw this idea in another classroom (in another district) that I was visiting. The teacher showed me the progression in writing from the start of the school year up to that week; I was visitng during the winter. The transformation was staggering! There wasn't one aspect of the letters that did not improve: the format, the length, the details, the grammer, and punctuation. Everything! 

Although we were already deep into the school year, I immediately started assigning Friday Family Letters.

I love this concept! It gets students working on their writing skills and helps keep families informed about what's been going on in school. It's a win-win!

The whole process looks like this:

1. Students arrive and immediatly get a lined piece of paper and a pencil. 

  • The first few weeks will require reviewing how to orient the paper (holes on the left, big white space on the top). You may also need to explain to students what the red/pink lines are for. I demonstrate to students they should move to the next line as soon as a word comes close to/crosses the pink margin line.
  • I highly encourage students to skip lines.
  • Review the friendly-letter format. Post an achor chart somewhere in the room that students can reference in later weeks.

writing friendly letters anchor chart



2. Brainstorm as a whole group what has happened the past week. I keep the discussion limited to what has happened in the building. 

  • As we brainstorm, I write their ideas on the board in front of the classroom. It helps students with generating ideas as well as how to spell some of the challenging words or names that come up. Ex: Haudenosaunee. I also make sure to write the date on the top of the board so students have a reference for their own letter.

3. Students write! As they complete their letters, they bring them to me for a final review. I have certain criteria that must be met. 

  • Students must use a friendly letter format with all of the components that are on the anchor chart posted in the room. 
  • Students cannot spell any words wrong that are included on the brainstormed list. 
  • All proper names must be capitalized.
  • All sentences must start with capitals and end with punctuation.
  • No lower case "I"s allowed. 
If a students does not meet one of the criteria, I hand their letter back to them, they correct it, and then resubmit it. As the year progresses, the number of details (or paragraphs) that I require will increase. In September I expect a topic sentence, 3 details, and a conclusion. By mid-year, they are writing 5 paragraphs. It is important to model the expectation every few weeks; especially as the requirements increase.

4. I collect all the letters and make a copy of each one.

  • Be sure to check the backs of the letters. Sometimes students will need to go to the back of the paper to finish their letter. At the start of the year there will be a student or 2. By mid-year, there will be several. By the spring, it will be a majority!

5. I send the orginial home and I place the copy into a file system/folder for each student. 

  • I keep a file system in a filing cabinet with the students organized alphabetically. I place the current week's letter in the back of each student file. When I give them back to the students at the end of the year, they will already be stacked chronologically.

6. Students will get the stored/copied pile back in June. Ideally, I will put the letters in a 3-prong folder. Students love to see their progression as well as "re-live" their fourth grade year.

friday family letters binders on desks
Morning Surprise!
Students came in the last week of school to a binder filled with
their letters and a Start to Summer Sweet Treat.

friday family letter binder personalization
Personalization!
I ran copies to make a cover for each binder and personalized each one.
Students then added their own colors.


friendly letter in september
Friday Family Letter in September.

friendly letter in june
Friday Family Letter in June.

Writing Friday Family Letters is a genuine and engaging way to get your students practicing their writing skills. They have a vested interest in the content and will do their best to make sure their message is being conveyed clearly. Friday Family Letters are one of the most powerful routines (academically, socially, home/school connection) you can implement in your classroom.

To read about other writing strategies click below!

writing friendly letters elementary classroom

No comments:

Post a Comment